Frequently Asked Questions

Our friendly and knowledgeable staff are happy to assist with any questions you may have regarding any of the vehicles on our fleet. We have put together some of our most frequently asked questions to assist with your rental, however if you have any additional questions please do not hesitate to Contact Us.

My Camper

If I pick up my vehicle at 12.30pm on a Saturday and drop it off before 12.30pm on the following Saturday is this counted as a 7 day hire?

No, unlike rental car companies that charge by 24-hour clock, all campervan companies in New Zealand charge by the day. So regardless of the time of collection and return, you will be charged for the day you collect and the day you drop your vehicle off. The above example would be an 8 day hire.

What equipment and bedding do the campervans have on board?

All vehicles come fully equipped with: Pillows & Duvets, Sheets, Fleece Bed Throws & Towels, Cooking Utensils, Pots/Pans/Frypan, Plates & Bowls, Cups & Glasses, Wine Glasses, Kettle, Electric Kettle, Dish Cloth, Dish Brush, Tea Towels, Electric Toaster, Cutlery, Tin Opener, Coffee Plunger, Microwave Cookware, Food Containers, Chopping Board, Clothes Hangers, Clothes Line & Pegs, Bucket, Dustpan & Brush, Fire Extinguisher, Waste & Fresh Water Hose, Hot water bottles and Toilet Chemical (for vehicles with shower & toilet)

Should we bring suitcases or soft bags?

Hard suitcases are not recommended. We recommend soft bags that can be folded and stored away under the bench seats in the vehicles. Alternatively, if you are picking up and dropping off your vehicle from the same depot, your luggage can be stored for you, free of charge, at the depot.

How big is the vehicle safe - what size laptop will fit in there?

The following vehicles are equipped with a safe: Path Seeker 2 berth, Path Blazer 4 Berth and Path Explorer 6 Berth. Safe measurements are: Length: 35cm; Height: 16.5cm (door opening); Depth: 34cm.

Does the vehicle come with a hair dryer?

No Freedom does not provide hair dryers.

Does the vehicle come with an iron and ironing board?

Freedom does not provide irons or ironing boards. However you will find most camp grounds do have laundry facilities.

Do the vehicles have power sockets?

Yes; New Zealand (as well as Australia and New Guinea) uses different power plugs to the rest of the world. Transformer or adaptor will be needed to fit NZ three point sockets and you need to be plugged into a power source on a campsite to be able to use them.

How long will the gas bottle last?

In the larger vehicles (4 and 6 berth motorhomes), Freedom provides a gas fired heating system and gas hot water. If central heating, water heating and cooking are all being used then one bottle (4.5kg) may only last for 5-8 days; subject to use. In these larger vehicles a second bottle is provided. In the smaller vehicles, where water is heated by heat exchange from the engine, and particularly when central heating is not in use the bottle should provide up to two weeks of gas.

What works when the campervan is not connected to a 240v power supply?

When a Freedom Camper is not connected to a 240v power supply, the fridge, hot water, gas heater, house lights and the entertainment will run off the 12v batteries in the vehicle.

Is there heating in the vehicle?

Yes, all our vehicles have 240 volt electric heaters. The Ford Transit Motorhomes also have gas heaters. All vehicles have heating in the cab which operates when you are driving. Refer to the Motorhome Fleet page for full details of individual models.

Can I recharge my laptop in the vehicle?

If you are plugged in simply use a power point in the vehicle. If you are not plugged in you can hire a 12v-240v inverter so you can recharge off the battery.

Does the DVD player play European formatted DVD’s?

Freedom PathSeeker and PathExplorer vehicles are equipped with multi-region (multi-zone) DVD players.

Do you have any cheaper campervans?

Freedom Campers is a 2nd tier campervan company with all vehicles being 2008 or newer, but our mates at Budget Campers ( will be able to suss you out for something a bit cheaper and older camper.

Is there a refund if I shorten my hire while on holiday?

No, there is no refund if you return your campervan earlier than the reserved period. However your travel insurance may in some circumstances cover the unused portion.

Staying in Your Camper

Can you Freedom Camp in NZ?

Most parts of NZ have areas where free camping is available, provided the vehicle you have rented has toilet facilities on board. Free camping is illegal in some areas so you would need to check with the local Isite or DOC before free camping. We do ask that if you do free camp, please respect the environment, the locals and clean up after yourselves. The best rule is to obey local signage, and ask at the local information centre for suitable sites. All Tui vehicles that have toilets on board are certified self contained, which qualifies the hirer to stay over at Department of Conservation land (approx 300 sites around NZ)

How long do the batteries last for free camping?

Tui vehicles have two batteries systems - one to run the engine and the other to operate the living equipment such as the fridge and lights. This battery will remain charged for approximately 12 to 48 hours but it all depends on a number of things you have running; use of lights, entertainment systems, gas heating (12V fan) and the number of times the fridge is opened. If you flatten the battery you can switch on the engine where the alternator will start it again, but, you will need to plug the vehicle into 240V mains power for the battery to fully recharge. We recommend you stay in Holiday Parks to charge the battery at least every second night.

What happens when the batteries run flat when I use the equipment? Will I be able to start my vehicle in the morning?

The inbuilt inverter will insure that all 12V functions continue uninterrupted. Since the engine battery is separate, if you flatten one of the house batteries, you will still be able to start the engine and drive.

Do we have to book campgrounds in advance?

We advise to do so during peak periods such as school holidays, public holidays and long weekends.

Do you supply a list of campgrounds around New Zealand?

In your Tui Campers there is free information on camp ground & regional guides as well as a comprehensive New Zealand road map.
This includes information on The Department of Conservation “DOC” campsites. There are over 250 of these throughout New Zealand. They are set in some of the most stunning locations in New Zealand and have basic facilities for you to use. There is also information on the various other networks of more comfortable Holiday Parks with toilets and hot showers, powered sites, kitchens, TV rooms, Laundromats and internet.
The average cost for DOC campsites are $0-$10 a night; Holiday Park campgrounds have an average cost $15-35 for non-power campsites, $20-40 for powered sites.
We provide a selection of full colour brochures with all of the standard campsites and DOC campsites. You can also check these web pages to find more about campgrounds:,,

How and where do I dump my waste?

The customer service team will show you at pick up how to empty your waste water and toilet cassette. We also give you information showing the location of dump stations throughout New Zealand. All Motorhomes waste must be disposed off at dump stations.

Can I connect the vehicle to a house electrical system when staying with friend’s and family?

Government regulations do not allow for connection directly into a standard 240 volt plug in a house or garage with a 3 pin plug. There is the possibility of overheating and fire at the plug if demand for power is high from the camper, such as the use of toasters, kettles etc all at the same time. If a fire occurs as a result of plugging directly into a house, your insurance may become void. Campgrounds in New Zealand use a 3 phase source of power supply, your vehicle is equipped with this and you can plug directly in to mains power at any campsite.

What works when the campervan is not connected to a 240v power supply?

When a Tui Camper is not connected to a 240v power supply, the fridge, hot water, gas heater, house lights and the entertainment will run off the 12v batteries in the vehicle.

Where do infants/babies sleep in the vehicles?

Most Portacots do not fit in our vehicles. For older children we do have a safety net for the top (Luton) bed in the Trail Blazer 4 berth and Trail Explorer 6 berth vehicles. For younger babies/toddlers, we suggest you consider the Kinderkot available to rent for NZ$85.

What if we want to free camp for longer than two days?

This depends on how much you minimise the power usage. The more equipment you use the quicker your batteries drain. If the weather is hot, try to keep the fridge closed as much as possible. A good tip is to keep the fridge filled by using recycled bottles filled with frozen water and turning the fridge off at night or at least turn the thermostat down. Parking the vehicle so that the fridge is on the shady side also reduces power consumption.

Is power required to use the vehicle air-conditioning?

Yes, you need to be plugged into a 240v power source on a campsite to use the air-conditioning in the living area of the PathSeeker 2 Berth, PathBlazer 4 berth and PathExplorer 6 berth models. Please note that you cannot plug the power cord into normal household power outlets.

Booking and Payment

How and when should I make my bookings?

We always suggest as soon as you know the dates you wish to have your holiday - go online and book. To confirm we need a NZ$300 deposit and then the balance is due 28 days prior to your hire.

When will I be charged for my rental?

The remainder of the balance is due 28 days prior to commencement of travel and will be automatically deducted from credit
card details given. If you wish to pay the balance by a different credit card then please send us an email prior to the due date and we will reply with a secure payment link to fill in new credit card details. 

I have submitted my booking form and credit card - what happens now?

Customer service is our number one priority, therefore your request will be processed as quickly as possible, preferably within 24 hours of receiving your booking. If a vehicle is available for the dates you specified, your booking will be finalised and your credit card will be charged a $300 deposit. If you wish to cancel your booking after this, you will incur a cancellation fee (please refer to our terms and conditions). If a vehicle is not available, we will contact you with a suitable alternative and no payment will be incurred.

What is your Reservation Policy?

No reservation will be accepted or guaranteed without a part payment of hire cost made via a valid credit card number, cardholders name and card expiry date to be supplied at the time the reservation is made.

What information will I need to book a vehicle?

You’ll need to know:

The pick-up location, date, and time.
The return location, date and time.
The type of vehicle you want to hire.
Your personal contact details.
A valid credit card to be used for the rental.

How can I amend or cancel my booking?

Should you wish to amend or cancel your existing booking, please contact us as soon as possible. Simply go to the Contact Us page which provides many options for contacting us, or email Please ensure you quote your confirmation number and one of our reservation consultants will get back to you as quickly as possible.

Why do I have to include my credit card number?

To allow us to proceed with your booking request, we require you to submit your credit card details for part payment of hire cost so we can secure your booking. Your credit card information is strictly confidential.

Is it safe to use my credit card?

Yes. We treat the security of our guest’s information very seriously. To ensure your security, all credit card transactions are secured by SSL, which encrypts the credit card number so as to make it unavailable to any other party.

Which credit card types do you accept?

Tui only Visa or Mastercard credit cards. We do not accept American Express or Diners.
All credit card transactions be charged in New Zealand currency.

Does Tui Campers charge a card transaction fee on rentals?

Yes, payments made by credit card will incur a surcharge of 2%.

Can I pay for my rental using cash?

Yes, we are happy to accept payment of cash by bank transfer as opposed to credit card. The balance must be transferred into our account at least 28 days prior to pick up.

It usually pays to make the deposit payment by credit card as the bank fee is more than the credit card surcharge but for the balance of hire payment then a bank transfer works well and must be transferred into our account at least 28 days prior to pick up. 

Please contact us if you wish to to make a cash bank transfer and we can forward our banking details.

For security reasons we do not accept cash at our branches. We accept credit card and debit card for charges paid on rental pick-up and drop-off.

Can I pay for the rental with a debit card?

Yes, you can pay for the rental using a bank issued Visa or Mastercard debit card, an eftpos debit card, or a non-bank issued Visa or Mastercard debit card.
However, all rental agreements must be secured by a Visa, Mastercard credit card for the bond/excess. For customers who are using debit cards for the bond/excess, Due to the limitations within Terms of Use for Debit Cards these are treated as cash and the full excess will be debited unless the excess reduction is purchased and then
a signed imprint will be taken.

What happens if I get a speeding ticket, parking ticket, or forget to pay a toll road charge?

Toll Road Notices:
In the event that Tui receives an unpaid toll notice relating to the period the vehicle was on hire, Tui will process a statutory declaration stating that the vehicle was on hire and provide name, address, and driver licence details of the hirer. The third party who issues the toll road charge will then forward the infringement notice to the hirer requesting payment. Tui charges the hirer a $60 administration fee for the time taken to process the statutory declaration and transfer of liability notice.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Freedom does not pay any toll charges and it is the sole responsibility of the hirer to pay all toll charges incurred during the rental period.

Rental Tip:
Save yourself money by paying the toll online the day before travelling on the toll road. This avoids costly administration fees that are levied for unpaid tolls. Review the NZTA website for toll road payment options.

Infringement Notices:
In the event that Freedom receives an infringement notice for a speeding, parking, or other traffic infringement relating to the period the vehicle was on hire, Freedom will process a statutory declaration stating that the vehicle was on hire and provide name, address, and driver licence details of the hirer. The authority who issues the infringement notice will then forward the infringement notice to the hirer requesting payment. Freedom charges the hirer a $60 administration fee for the time taken to process the statutory declaration and transfer of liability notice.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Freedom does not pay any infringement notices and it is the sole responsibility of the hirer to pay all fines in relation to infringement notices issued during the rental period.

Do you offer relocations for your vehicles? How can I find out about them?

Every once in a while, we have too many vehicles in one of our depots (Auckland or Christchurch) and they need to be relocated.

All our relocation deals will be posted on our Tui Campers Facebook Fan Page so please feel free to become a fan:

Please only ask for a relocation deal if you are able to travel within 3 weeks – unfortunately, we don’t know half a year in advance if we require a relocation deal 😉
Relocations are a fast, cheap way to travel. A maximum of five days is all you need to get you there. Dependant on availability and future bookings, our relocation rates start from as low as $1 per day!
Normal Terms and Conditions still apply.

Requirements for Renting

What terms & conditions will apply to my rental?

Please refer to our website for a full list of Tui Rental Terms & Conditions.

How old do you have to be to rent a Freedom vehicle?

The minimum age for renting with Freedom Campers is 21 years old. However, the renter must have a full and valid driver licence and credit card, and adhere to our Rental Terms & Conditions. Special conditions apply to drivers aged 18 to 20 years

Can anyone other than myself drive the vehicle?

Yes, you can nominate additional drivers at no extra cost.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Insurance cover is only valid for drivers named on the contract. Additional drivers will need to present their driver licence and any required translation documents at the time of rental.

Is there an additional charge for more than one driver?

No. There is no additional charge for having extra drivers on the rental contract.

What driver licence requirements are needed to hire a Freedom Camper?

To hire a vehicle you MUST have a valid full driver licence written in English, if the licence is not in English an approved translation is needed. Australian P2 Licences are the only exception to the Full Licence rule. You must carry your valid licence with you at all times when driving in New Zealand.

What types of UK Driving Licences can be used to rent a Freedom Camper?

Tui accepts the new plastic photo ID Driving Licence, as well as the older paper licences. We do not accept the ‘Counterpart Driving Licence’ by itself.

You must present a full and valid driver licence when renting a Freedom vehicle.

You will only be able to drive the same types of vehicles you’re licensed to drive in the UK.

What happens if my licence is suspended or I am disqualified while driving in New Zealand?

If you’re using an overseas driver licence to drive in New Zealand and are then suspended or disqualified from driving by a New Zealand court, you can no longer use your overseas driver licence to drive in New Zealand. If you want to drive in New Zealand (after your disqualification or suspension has ended), you will need to get a New Zealand driver licence.

Driving In New Zealand

What is a safe speed to travel in our Campervan or Motorhome?

The open road speed limit in New Zealand is 100km per hour. The 4 and 6 berths can only travel at 90km per hour, all other vehicles will comfortably travel at this speed. Should you choose to travel at a slower speed, please show courtesy to other road users by allowing them to pass.

What should I do if the vehicle has a breakdown?

All Freedom vehicles are covered by the Automobile Association (AA) 24 hour roadside assistance service for any vehicle related breakdowns. In the event that you need roadside assistance, please call the AA free phone number 0800 22 27 39. Please give them your car registration plate number and provide and directions to help them locate you.

If the AA are unable to assist you, please contact us on 0800 325 939.

IMPORTANT NOTE: For non-mechanical (driver error) call outs, you will need to pay the applicable fee directly to the AA prior to their attendance.

Mechanical breakdowns covered by the AA Roadside Assistance service include the following:
Engine faults.
Electrical faults.
Cooling system.
Vehicle recovery.

For all Non-Mechanical breakdowns, the Automobile Association will charge you the relevant call out fees. Non-mechanical breakdowns include, but are not limited to, the following:
Running out of fuel.
Refilling the vehicle with the incorrect fuel (i.e. putting petrol in instead of diesel).
Damage to wheels and/or tyres.
Losing the keys or locking them inside the vehicle.
Having a flat battery due to the ignition or lights being left on.
A breakdown as a result of damage caused in an accident, including salvage.

What happens if my vehicle needs minor repairs.

We supply a list of nationwide service centers and authorise you to spend up to $100.00 in emergency repairs so that you can deal with minor matters speedily or when convenient to you.

Do I need snow chains?

Usually snow chains are only required if you are going to be skiing, or if you are travelling in winter during bad weather mainly in the South Island and on the Desert road in the central North Island. Tui provides snow chains for a fee of $45 per rental. (free with Reduction Option 2)
Chains are also required by law to travel on Milford Rd between May and October. If you are not confident about driving the Milford Rd in winter conditions take a coach, relax and enjoy the winter scenery.

What are toll roads, and do I have to pay to use them?

Toll roads are roads which charge a fee in exchange for access through to your destination. If you are touring New Zealand's North Island, you may pass through the Northern Gateway Toll Road. When driving a rental vehicle in New Zealand, you are responsible for paying toll fees, so it is important to be aware of payment options before you travel. Visit the Northern Gateway Toll Road website ( for more information.

I am starting my hire in Auckland and dropping off in Christchurch, can I swap vehicles between the North and South Island?

No we do not have depots at the Ferry terminals to be able to offer this service. You must take the vehicle on the ferry if you wish to cross the islands, saves you having to unpack and repack vehicles.

Should I pre book the ferry crossing?

Recommended at peak times otherwise you may not get the crossing you want and at best fare. Not so important if you are planning an extended stay of over one month or out of peak season (April to October)
We would be happy to arrange this for you before you arrive. Please let us know your preferred cross date(s) and time(s) and the name and ages of those crossing on the ferry. The cost will be charged direct to your credit card details along with an administration fee of $25.

Does the CD player in the vehicle connect to IPOD or MP3 players?

All Freedom campervans and motorhomes can play MP3 CDs. Some vehicles are fitted with iPod jacks (AUX) but not all. You can purchase a radio FM transmitter at most electronic stores which will enable you to play your iPod through the radio in your Tui rental vehicle.

Does the DVD player play European formatted DVD’s?

Freedom PathSeeker, PathBlazer and PathExplorer vehicles are equipped with multi-region (multi-zone) DVD players.

Can we watch DVDs while driving?

For safety reasons, watching TV while driving is not permitted in any of our vehicles.

How much does diesel cost?

Diesel is much cheaper than petrol in New Zealand as a seperate diesel tax is charged. However the rates at the pump fluctuate. For up to date fuel pricing go to PriceWatch (

Do I have to pay for Diesel Road User Tax?

Road User Charges (diesel tax) on our diesel vehicles does apply. You will be charged per kilometre when you hire a diesel campervan.

Do I need a special driver's licence to drive in New Zealand?

A current and full motor vehicle driver’s licence is required and must be produced upon vehicle collection. Should a foreign licence be in a language other than English, it must be accompanied by an accredited English translation OR an International Driving Permit.


How can I change the insurance coverage I’ve selected on my reservation?

If you need to change the insurance coverage you selected on a reservation, please contact central reservations prior to vehicle collection and they will be happy to help you select the appropriate insurance option.

What motor vehicle insurance do I receive with Freedom Campers?

The vehicle is fully insured in case of accident damage or loss of contents (excluding personal belongings).
There is an excess/deductible of NZ$5000 ($5500 for drivers under 25 years of age) for our shower and toilet motorhome models and NZ$4000($4500 for drivers under 25 years of age) for our HiAce models. You will be liable for the cost of damage (up to the chosen excess) to third party property or to the rented vehicle, including theft, fire, break in or vandalism, additionally any towing and recovery costs. The liability applies in respect of each claim, not per rental.

What should I do if I have an accident in a Freedom Camper rental vehicle?

In the unfortunate event of an accident, please do the following:

1. Notify Freedom as soon as possible. The phone number will be printed on your rental contract. Alternatively, you can contact Freedom Campers Reservations toll free on 0800 325 939 for further assistance.

2. Notify the police if the accident involves injury.

3. If possible, prepare a written statement of the facts signed by all parties. If agreement cannot be reached, obtain a copy of the police report.

4. Do not make any admission of liability, as this may prejudice your insurance coverage. Record full details of all parties and vehicles involved in the accident (drivers name, address, telephone number, mobile phone number, email address, vehicle registration number, vehicle make/model/year, insurance company, and apparent damage).

5. Record full details of all parties and vehicles involved in the accident (drivers name, address, telephone number, mobile phone number, email address, vehicle registration number, vehicle make/model/year, insurance company, and apparent damage).
When you return the vehicle, you will need to allow at least 30 minutes to complete a full accident report form.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Unless you have purchased Bod Waiver Insurance (BWI) cover, you will be required to pay all vehicle damage up to a maximum of the insurance excess. If you have a camera, please take photographs of all damaged vehicles and the accident site to verify the damage and circumstances to assist us with our claim.

What is the cost of Excess Reduction / Bond Waiver insurance coverage?

The excess can be reduced by purchasing one of the following Reduction Options:

Reduction Option 1:
Path Seeker, Path Blazer and Path Explorer's –
This option can be purchased by paying an additional NZ$35 per day (NZ$40 per day for drivers under 25 years) reduces excess to NZ$2,500 and only a credit card imprint is required. Maximum charge is for 50 days.

Path Finder’s 2/3 and 4+1–
This option can be purchased by paying an additional NZ$28 per day (NZ$33 per day for drivers under 25 years) reduces excess to NZ$2,000 and only a credit card imprint is required. Maximum charge is for 50 days.

Reduction Option 2:
Path Seeker, Path Blazer and Path Explorer's –
This option can be purchased by paying an additional NZ$60 per day (NZ$65 per day for drivers under 25 years) reduces excess to NZ$0 and only a credit card imprint is required.

Path Finder’s 2/3 and 4+1 –
This option can be purchased by paying an additional NZ$50 per day (NZ$55 per day for drivers under 25 years) reduces excess to NZ$0 and only a credit card imprint is required.

Please note that Excess Reduction is completely optional and can be decided upon collection of your vehicle. This additional insurance only covers you for one incident where after your standard excess applies. You can apply to purchase this cover for the remaining days of you hire.

Freedom campers strongly recommends our customers to take the bond waiver insurance to minimise excess exposure and travel with peace of mind.

Reduction Option 2 cover includes the following extras:
Free hire of the following accessories which are:
Baby seat and/or child booster seat (on request)
Picnic table and Chairs (one chair for each person travelling)
Snow Chains (on request)
Zero excess (Subject to exclusions below)
One windscreen, multiple windscreen chip repairs, two tyre replacements and multiple windscreen chip repairs
Pre-purchased LPG bottle
Toilet Chemical Starter Kit
Road Tolls
Lost/damaged key replacements

Why is it important to take the full cover insurance option when renting a Freedom?

For your peace of mind during holiday, the Bond Waiver Insurance is the best way to minimise your liability when travelling in your Freedom Camper. If you do not take the Bond Waiver Insurance you run the risk of being responsible for considerable costs associated with damage to, or theft of, the vehicle. This applies even if the damage was not your fault.

What happens if I have an accident and its not my fault?

In the event that something happens to the campervan and you are not at fault, (either a vehicle accident where someone strikes the vehicle or damage occurs while the vehicle is parked) you are liable for the damage caused to the vehicle until we are able to receive payment for those damages from the third party

I have Travel Insurance, which covers damage to the vehicle. Do I need to pay the Tui Campers vehicle insurance as well?

With most bookings, insurance is included in the daily rate. If not then insurance must be purchased to cover the vehicle. A standard excess applies (which you can choose to reduce). In the event of the vehicle becoming damaged during your hire, you will be liable for the applicable excess. This may be claimed back by yourself against your travel insurance, but this agreement is between your travel insurer and yourself. Make sure you read the terms and conditions carefully of your insurance.

What if I have an accident or medical emergency?

Due to the Scheme's no-fault basis, people who have suffered personal injury do not have the right to sue an at-fault party. For more details, please see the ACC website ( However Tui recommends that all visitors to New Zealand take out additional travel insurance for medical emergencies.

Arriving And Departing

Do you offer transfers to and from the depot?

We offer a complimentary transfer service on the first and last day of the rental to/from Airport and surrounding Airport Hotels, Motels. Once you arrive in New Zealand and you are ready for your transfer, please call us on 0800 325 939 and advise Surname, Reservation Number, Arrival Terminal or hotel name and Number of Passengers requiring collection. Our courtesy collection is normally within 30 minutes and operates up to 1 hour prior to close.

What time can I pick up and drop off my Freedom Camper?

High Season: 01 Oct - 30 April
Monday to Sunday 8:00am - 5:00pm
Vehicle Collection Hours 8.30am - 3.30pm

Low Season: 01 May - 30 Sept
Monday to Saturday 9:00am - 4:00pm
Vehicle Collection Hours 9.30am - 3.00pm
Closed Sunday unless by arrangement only (contactless) *conditions apply*

Will someone show me how to use everything?

Yes. You will have a dedicated staff member take you on a personal tour of the vehicle when you arrive at the branch. They will ensure that you are familiar with all of the features before you leave.

Can Freedom Campers deliver a vehicle to my overnight accommodation?

No, it is necessary for you to come to our Depot to collect your vehicle so we are able to complete the necessary documentation, and familiarise you with the operation of the campervan.

Can we leave/pick up the vehicle at the airport or can you deliver it?

Vehicles must be picked up and dropped off at the Freedom branch location.

Does every driver have to be there on pick up?

Yes. We do need to sight all drivers actual, full, valid driver’s license (photo copies are not accepted) and all drivers do need to sign the rental agreement.

My flight arrives late. Can I pick up after hours?

No, we do not allow pick ups after hours. If the delay is unexpected please contact your pickup depot directly for assistance. It is generally advisable to book a hotel for the first night if you will arrive after 3 pm.

Can we leave our car in your yard? If yes, is it secured? Is there an extra cost?

Yes depending availability you can, we have yards in Auckland and Christchurch however while all care is taken we accept no responsibility or liability. There is a cost of $40 per rental period for vehicle storage.

Can we bring our pet?

No, we do not allow animals in the vehicles.

Is there a supermarket/petrol station near to the office?

Yes, there are 7 days a week supermarkets open 8am-9pm and petrol stations open 24 hours close to each office, where you can park easily and purchase your supplies to start your holiday.

What if I'm late picking up my Freedom Camper?

Please contact central reservations (phone 0800 325 939) or the rental location as soon as possible if you are going to be late to pick up your vehicle.

Options & Accessories

Does Freedom rent child safety seats?

Yes, you can book your child safety seats when booking online. If you have forgotten to book a child safety seat, please contact us and they will amend your booking.
By law in New Zealand all children under eight years of age must be in an "approved" child restraint

Do I need to check that the child safety seat is fitted properly?

Yes, it is the responsibility of the renter to check and ensure any child safety seats are fitted correctly prior to commencing the rental.

Can I install my own child safety seat or capsule?

Yes, you may install your own child safety seat or capsule of any type in our vehicles at your own risk. Tui staff will not assist with the installation of non-Tui seats or capsules.

Do Freedom vehicles have GPS navigation systems?

GPS navigation systems can be booked online or hired at the time of rental from the rental location. (free if Reduction Option 2 is purchased)

Can I access the internet while travelling?

We have available to hire Vodafone pocket Wi-Fi's that can be used in most 3/4G mobile phone coverage areas. There are some remote places such as national parks, which may have limited or no mobile Internet coverage.
Devices must be pre-booked or check with our branch at the time of check-in to see if there is a device available for your trip.

Can I use a trailer hitch or tow bar with my Tui Camper?

No. You cannot tow a trailer using an Tui rental vehicle.